In normal times, the spring season is the best time to start looking for a home, but with the Corona pandemic in 2020, the home buying season was delayed. Realtors have seen the fall and winter months to be just as busy as spring usually is, so right now is as good as time as any to get started looking for a new home, especially while interest rates are still low.
One item to consider is location — where do you want to live? Are there any must have criteria items when you are shopping for a home? Another top item for a buyer to consider when preparing to buy a home, is budget. How much can I afford? There are mortgage calculator apps and websites that can help with this. Ultimately, however, talking with a local lender is the best way to know how much you can officially afford when searching for your home. (If you need local lender referrals, reach out to me, I am happy to send you some of the best local lenders here in town.)
Here are a few more tips when preparing to buy a home:
- Make sure your job is secure
- Check your credit score
- Create a housing budget
- Save for a down payment
- Shop for a local lender, check interest rates, obtain a pre approval
- Hire a real estate agent-that’s me! (Click here to learn more about how I can help as your buyers’ agent)
- Start the home search
- Make an offer
- Get a home inspection, negotiate repairs
- Secure your financing before closing on the home
- Do a final walk through of the home
- Close on the home at a local title company
- Congratulations, you’re a home owner!